04 Jun Top Ten Cover Letter Writing Tips
Many job seekers struggle when writing a cover letter. Here’s my top ten cover letter writing tips to help guide the process.
1. Your cover letter should be in a standard business format. Don’t use borders or fancy fonts, stick with a standard business font such as Arial or Times New Roman;
2. Include your name, address, telephone numbers and email at the top of the letter;
3. Address the letter to a specific person if possible paying special attention to make sure you use the correct spelling of their name;
4. Include any position reference numbers and the position title;
5. If responding to a job advertisement, use it as a guide to help you write your cover letter being sure to give examples of how you fit the requirements mentioned in the advertisement;
6. Try and keep your cover letter to one page in length. Use plain English and don’t ramble on;
7. Briefly highlight any special skills, experience and qualifications you have but don’t duplicate everything in your CV. Your cover letter should be brief and concise, encouraging the reader to refer to your CV for further information;
8. Mention you have attached your CV and that you are available to answer any questions the reader may have in relation to your qualifications, skills or experience;
9. Proof read your letter and if possible have someone else check it over for spelling and grammar errors;
10. Don’t forget to leave space for your signature and sign it before sending it off.
Do you have any questions about how to prepare a cover letter? Feel free to submit your questions in the comments section below.